Mayonnaise is one of those wonders, that humans created to add a little extra creamy texture to their foods. The ingredients in mayonnaise are originally based on olive oil, egg yolks, a little vinegar or lemon juice. Mayonnaise is said to be originated from Spain, but I am sure the French will claim ownership if they could.
The secret to mayonnaise is to slowly adding egg yolks to the olive oil, while whisking…. egg yolk is an emulsifier, so to create a vegan raw version, that is healthy and have a similar texture, we add some lecithin. Chemistry at work here, but let’s see if we can beat the Spaniards and the French, and of course all those soy based vegan mayo’s on the market or even the raw food ones, that are typically made from cashews.
- Flavor: Sweet, fudgy and classy
- Style: Vegan, raw
- Allergy: Gluten-Free, Nut-free option
- 2 cups pulp from young thai coconut
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- 1 tblsp sunflower lecithin
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Celtic sea salt
French version: Add a little Dijon mustard or raw mustard * to taste
Italian version: 2 tblsp flat-leaf parsley, 1 tblsp basil
Greek version: 2 tblsp fresh oregano, 2 kalamata olives (chopped fine)
Spanish version: 1 tblsp red onion (minced), 1 tsp chili flakes or cayenne, 1 tblsp thyme, 1 tsp rosemary
Scandinavian: 3 tblsp chives or fresh dill (or mix both)
The Hip version: 2 tblsp hemp seeds, and 1 tblsp fresh sage
HOW TO MAKE
- Add the coconut pulp to a high speed blender and process until smooth and creamy
- Add the olive oil slowly and incorporate with the coconut pulp until very creamy and smooth
- Add the lemon juice and paprika, while blending
- Add the sunflower lecithin and blend
- Add the coconut oil and keep on blending
- Add the optional flavors (French, Italian, Greek, Spanish) and mix in really well
- 1 cup Mustard seeds, soaked
- 3/4 cup lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
HOW TO MAKE RAW DIJON MUSTARD
Soak the mustard seeds in the apple cider vinegar for 4-6 hours. Blend the mixture well and make sure to leave it a bit grainy.
Serve the mayonnaise with your favorite vegan cooked or vegan raw foods. Use it in dressings, as a dip or on crackers…..
Store in the fridge (glass container is best) – will last for up to a week